Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Leaving on a jet plane....

I leave for Australia and the Wildwater World Cup 2009 in Tasmania today.  Its a pretty marathon trip, from Harrisburg to DC, DC to LAX, LAX to Sydney and Sydney to Melbourne.  I arrive in Melbourne around 10am on Thursday (today is Tuesday).  I am sure my bags, which include a ski bag containing my paddles, won't make it at the same time as I do.  That is one of the reasons I am hanging out in Melbourne until Sunday.  The others are that I have flown to Australasia enough times to know it takes me 4-5 days until I am actually functioning correctly, and that I know a bunch of folks in Melbourne from my science life.  So a few days to kick back, get on time and possibly catch up on all the blog entries I have started but not yet finished and posted.  By the time I get to Hobart on Sunday, a couple of hours ahead of Tom Wier and Jennie Goldberg (my US Team teammates), our boats "should" have arrived on a ship from Europe.  We don't have a contingency plan if they don't arrive, but its simply not possible to fly to Australia with a boat anymore.  I wonder if my bags will have arrived by that point?

No comments: